Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Final Word On Induction

It's very difficult to plan a trip when you could potentially be called to leave at a moment's notice and you have no idea how long you'll have to stay. We're supposed to fly out to Minnesota early Monday morning, but Jimmi and I have been trying to pack in advance in case Aria decides to make a surprise escape a few days early, which wouldn't give us much time to think about what we'll need to take with us. Of course, if she is still nestled comfortably inside Lyndsay until our planned departure, we'll have to be prepared for at least a week's stay in the midwest, if not longer. 

This sucks.

I'm a planner, in case you haven't noticed. I don't do well with playing things by ear or waiting on details. I need to know exactly how, what, why and where my life is headed at all times. Don't get me wrong. I love surprises if they happen spontaneously and I don't have time to think too much about them. But, given room to ponder, I turn into a complete basket case.

That's pretty much where I am now.

I won't rehash all the specifics for the millionth time because I know most of you have been keeping up with my blog but, for those who may have missed a few entries, here's the Cliff's Notes version:

Lyndsay is due May 18th. Jimmi has to leave for a three week tour no later than May 21st. We're flying to Minnesota on May 12th. Lyndsay's original doctor was deployed a few weeks ago and another one took over. We've asked the new doctor if Lyndsay would be approved for induction sometime between May 13th and 15th to make sure Jimmi will be present at the baby's birth. While I was waiting for an answer, Lyndsay was bounced around a bit while scheduling her next appointment, and finally settled on a midwife to care for the remainder of her pregnancy. Knowing midwives are usually adamantly against induction for any reason other than medical necessity, I decided to send an e-mail, pleading our case, hoping for a miracle.

The response I received from the midwife on Monday gave me a small glimmer of hope, as we weren't immediately turned down:

Hi Suzanne,

I just wanted to let you know that I have received your email and, yes, I have been updated on your situation from both Dr. H and the other midwife Lyndsay saw. As with any patient, we always want to make the best clinical decisions. Let me look more carefully at Lyndsay's chart, etc. before I go any further. Just please know that I am here and aware! :-)

I will be in touch soon.


J's reply had a calming effect that quickly loosened the tension that had been plaguing my shoulders for two weeks. She gets it, I thought to myself. I know she'll help us. She has to help us. I found myself feeling much more relaxed over the last two days, as I almost patiently awaited J's final answer, hoping it would come before Lyndsay's 39 week appointment on Friday. And, tonight, at 8:00 PM, the suspense ended as I read these words:

Hi Suzanne!

I can share some updates with you. Please know that even if I am the midwife caring for Lyndsay for the remainder of her pregnancy, she is still considered a "physician" patient. (Side Note: I'm SO glad she cleared that up for me. It was another major cause of stress as I really wanted a doctor in charge, in case of any emergencies.) Given this, I have spoken with several key players in our department regarding your situation. Two of which are physicians who will be working in the timespan of your requested induction dates. We all have reservations about inducing Lyndsay. We do appreciate your situation and empathize. However, per our policy, (our hospital) does not offer induction of labor without medical indication. We wait until 41-41.3 weeks to optimize our chances for spontaneous labor. 

I know this process has been frustrating for you, and I apologize for the change in clinic providers here at the end of the pregnancy. Please know that we have Lyndsay's and your baby's BEST interests at heart.

I look forward to our visit on Friday.


And, just like that, my balloon was burst into a million tiny pieces.

It's over. There's no one left to ask. I've hit every possible angle and they've all turned into dead ends. Yes, we can hope Lyndsay goes into labor on her own, before her due date but, based on her last pregnancies, which were just over 40 and 41 weeks, that's not a likely outcome. Chances are, I'll be sitting in Minnesota for a few weeks, missing my boys and waiting for Aria, all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment